Go For Additive Solder Mask Manufacturing
Save time, material and production costs.
Only add material where it's required
That's what additive solder mask manufacturing is all about and that's what makes inkjet printing of solder mask so beneficial. Inkjet printing, being an additive process, means less process steps compared to traditional solder mask coating or Laser Direct Imaging (LDI). Photo and development process are eliminated as is the need for full surface flooding. This speeds up production while reducing waste, material and energy consumption.
Inkjet Printing Process
How does it work?
Outside of inkjet printing tool
- Surface pre-treatment of choice: Pumice or
µEtch + Anti-tarnish
Solder mask coating
- Loading and board reading
- Alignment on 4 or more points
- Computation of image specific to board deformation and serialization
- UV Bump
Outside of inkjet printing tool
- Legend printing
- Baking: 60 min at 150 º C
- Metal finishing (HASL, ENIG, Sn/Ag immersion …)
SUSS JETxSM Inkjet Printer for PCB Solder Mask
SUSS JETxSM has the highest resolution on the market. One tool for rigid and flexible boards.
Design your printed circuit boards
Upload your design
Print your boards Opens up new design possiblities. Easier compliance with stricter future environmental regulation.
With JETxSM you can get started right away.
The award winning novel inkjet-printed solder mask solution for PCBs enables drop-on-demand inkjet printing. The advantages of inkjet-based manufacturing are significant. It avoids costly photo processes, which typically include resist coating, exposure and development steps.
Inkjet Printing benefits
Why Inkjet Printing for PCB Solder Mask?
Additive and Cost-Effective
- Solder mask is applied only where needed
- Total costs of ownership lower than traditional technology
- High resolution for pattern fidelity
- Multi-fiducial marks alignment for astounding registration
- Insensitive to copper topography
- Tolerates board height variations
- Reduces chemical waste and material usage
- Low energy consumption
- Precise production improves yield an increases productivity
- Fast production speed for high throughput
Why SUSS JETxSM?
Accurately well-made, small and precise features
Small droplet size (2 pL)
High production speed
* Two UV LED arrays positioned on both sides of the print bar
High jetting frequency and large number of nozzles (> 12.000)
Less maintenance and higher uptime
Unique ink recirculation always keeps the ink fresh and prevents air in the nozzles
“What you see is what you get” experience
Direct link of CAM software to print files in the inkjet system
Perfect layer coverage
Reliable solder mask thickness control at copper edges (4 µm and up)
High volume production
Printhead array with 6 parallel FUJIFILM Dimatix SambaTM G3L printheads
Solder Mask Manufacturing in Numbers
Some data why inkjet printing is amazing
Use of Ink
surface printed per kg of ink
of up to
Number of Nozzles
Number of drops per panel
Watch JETxSM in Action
A close-up on details and a solder mask printed from beginning to end
Contact our experts
You might be asking yourself …
- Who can answer my questions about inkjet printing for PCB solder mask?
- Who can fulfill my need for an in-depth discussion about the JETxSM Solder Mask tool?
- When and how can I visit (virtually) the PrintLab for a live demo on the JETxSM Solder Mask tool?
- How can I experience the difference between inkjet printing and traditional solder mask coating?